Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I broke my own pirate code by the fact that I just got around to seeing this movie last night. I'm all about opening night for movies high on my list - as this was - and so it hurt a little to have to put it off. Still, I promised I'd see it with a friend who was in town from Baltimore... then she had to cancel. So I woke up hubby (who'd been driving all night and only had about 3 hours of sleep) and made him go with me.

Was I entertained? Yes, thoroughly. I mean, that's the whole point of these movies, in my opinion. I can't get all deep and philosophical about a movie based on a theme park ride, but I can enjoy my almost 3 hours of Orlando and Johnny (did I say that out loud... again?) - I mean, humor and action - without the least bit of guilt.

We both loved it, but still, when we left, we were a little... confused. Or something. I came home to check it out and discovered there's a HUGE debate going down on all the message boards, etc. And when I say huge debate, I mean nasty, with name calling and stuff. Seriously, these people need to simmer down. A LOT.

So... without offering my opinion (which I'm not so sure of just yet), I ask you for yours!

LOOK OUT! SPOILERS AHOY!

My confusion was over the last scene, of course. Was Will returning for his one day or was he "alive" again? I recall something about a green flash of light signaling the return of someone from the dead - we got one when Jack came back from The Locker. So, in the end, there was a green flash and hottie, I mean, Will, on the horizon. But I scratched my head a bit because I remember a green flash when he left on the Dutchman after his night on the beach with Elizabeth. What did that one mean?

It would seem the two writers divulged on their website forums at Wordplayer, that a scene was cut, wherein it's explained that if Elizabeth is faithful to Will for 10 years, his curse as Captain of the Dutchman is lifted, no longer binding him there for eternity. That said, the scene was absent from the film and I saw no real allusion to the idea of anything else besides Will being bound to 10 years at sea and one ashore - forever. The Dutchman must have a captain... and all that jazz.

I keep finding essay long posts (which are very thought out and obviously written by intelligent people) with words like metaphysical and archetypal and antihero and Hercules and Persephone and I was an English major, so I get all that stuff, but I feel a little overwhelmed because I sat there laughing when the little pirate shot off the gun and got blown into a hole.

Still, some people are NOT happy about Will and Elizabeth being left in such a state (it is pretty bittersweet, I must say) and others are not pleased with the writers for having given him an "out" from the duty Calypso created. From my end, I understand the romanticized ideal of the ancient myth, etc. but yeah, I totally get wanting to see him in that gray bandana more than once every 10 years.

Let's say I ride the fence on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, never commented before but you posted in the LJ gilmore girls community so I've been reading here!

Anyhow, did you stay till the end of the credits?

If so I thought it made more sense after seeing that scene. But as I see it, he's cursed to be on the dutchment for 10 years and then the curse will be lifted? i dont know. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and was entertained, especially jack and will (yum), though my favorite character in the movies is Barbosa :)