Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Friday Night Lights

I'm not feeling particularly eloquent tonight, so I'm letting the picture above do most of the Friday Night Lights talking for me. I will say that the hype on this show is ALL true. It's AMAZING. I heard about it last season (but you know I can't get involved half-way through), a few weeks ago from a commenter here, and then, from one of my trusted TV confidantes, who used the word "obsession" when recommending the show to me... he wasn't exaggerating.

I watched the first season in 3 days and stayed up until almost 5 a.m. two of those three nights to do so. Yeah. Seriously. I don't even know how to describe it, other than to tell you, if you watch the first episode, you'll be hooked. And I'm not just saying that because I grew up in the South and cheered for a 5-A, High School State Champion football team (that's real, baby.)

It's real, it's funny, it's people, it's life. It's not melodramatic, and doesn't depict an unrealistic lifestyle where teenagers rule the world in Marc Jacobs and go to Happy Hour for martinis. It's about the MOST ordinary things in life, that are amazingly extraordinary to watch. And it's not all about football, so don't let that deter you.

Kyle Chandler (who plays Coach Taylor) is my new favorite person. What he does with this character is brilliant. And when he's on-screen with TV wife, Connie Britton, look out. I laugh, I cry, I rewind. Add daughter Julie (played by Aimee Teegarden) to the mix, and you might be looking at my new favorite TV family (sorry, Walkers).

Outside the Taylor family, Matt Saracen (who has a really sweet relationship with Coach Taylor's daughter) and Tim Riggins are probably my favorite characters, but all of them: Street, Smash, Lyla, Tyra and adorkable, hilarious Landry, stand out as individual, unique and interesting people - the kind I want to know more about... for many more obsessive seasons.

Ok, see, I said I didn't have much to say... but this show brings it out of me, even when I don't feel like being particularly verbose. I really don't know what else I can say. Just WATCH IT!

Season 2 Premiere: Friday, October 5.
(But go get Season 1 and watch it first...)

No comments: